Records and research support

The Centre facilitates access to records and information on the Indian Residential School System in Canada. If you are a Survivor or a family member of a Survivor looking for oral testimonies or records from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and/or other collections, the Centre can help. Ways to access the records:

  • Visit us in person to research records at a private kiosk or engage with the Centre’s interactive technology. No appointment is necessary to visit the Centre, but please note that we are currently experiencing closures related to COVID-19. Please be sure to check our visiting hours and information before planning your visit.
  • Browse the records and featured collections online, via the Centre’s Collections website.

Supports available at the Centre

Our building is designed for respite and for supporting Survivors, Intergenerational Survivors and their families. The Elders Lounge is available for viewing records in private, for cultural and health support or to spend time with family and friends. 

Connected to the outside space and to the territory, there are quiet spaces inside and outside of the building to rest and to take time for yourself. Everyone – whether a visitor or Survivor – will explore, access and interact with records and resources at the Centre in different ways. The Centre supports the wellbeing and learning potential for all visitors. 

Centre staff can help with finding additional records not available to the public, requesting personal documents from the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation, or facilitate access to additional materials at other institutions such as local community archives, museums and libraries.

Engaging with the records and collections can be an emotional experience, particularly when looking for specific and personal information. Centre staff are here to support you, and Survivors and their family members are encouraged to make an appointment for research or health support before embarking on their research.

Please contact with questions and to make an appointment for an in-person appointment or virtual support. 

detailed timeline

Find Day School Settlement and Claims information

There is new information for Survivors on the Day School Settlement Agreement, including claims forms and updated deadlines.

Find information on Indian Hospitals class action

The class-action lawsuit filed against the federal government was certified on January 22, 2020. Find information on the Statement of Claim and how to be involved.